When it comes to two peas in pod, there is nothing less identical than Freedom and Milla. But when these two are together, they are literally, The Clones. The two make up the freshest duo out of California since Double-Doubles and milk shakes, and they’re single Chasing the Sun is definitely making some noise.
Recently, Covrdup was lucky enough to catch these two for an exclusive Behind the Nines interview. But, before we get into it, here’s a little 411 on the upcoming phenomenon.
Hometown: East Palo Alto, CA (Milla); Los Gatos, CA (Freedom)
Birth Year: Unknown (Milla); 4000AD (Freedom)
Ethnicity: Dark Chocolate (Milla); Keanu Reeves (Freedom)
Record Label: Wynn Alliance Records AKA WAR
Now without further ado lets get Behind the Nines with The Clones.
- What does a typical day or week look like for you?
Milla – Writing, Recording, Partying, Events, taking care of my daughter.
Freedom – Writing, Recording, Meetings, Fitness, overseeing/furthering the other projects on the label. Additional business ventures such as two music related TV shows that are in development.
- When & how did you realize music was a career you wanted to pursue?
Milla – When I was 12 and my counselor took an interest in my poetry and told me that writing music would make me more money. That was all I needed to hear.
Freedom – Through a tennis charity event I fell into music. One of the participants had coincidentally grown up with tennis a coach. So naturally we had to dish some dirt on him. I went to meet up with this individual at his office a week or two later. On his wall hung platinum albums for Madonna, Linkin Park, etc.. I was more than intrigued. I now knew someone in “the industry.” I thought to myself, wow, some people actually do this for a living! He gave me some great advice and from there I drew on my past musical experience and hit the ground running!
- What is your favorite part of making music? Least favorite?
Milla – My favorite part of making music is when it connects to my emotions. My least favorite is when I have no connection to the production.
Freedom – I really enjoy the creative process. Making something out of nothing and ending up with something tangible that didn’t exist just a little while earlier. My least favorite aspect of making music is that sometimes, the process can be drawn out and take some time as you go through the steps of making a proper song from start to finish. Writing, production, cleaning up the track, mixing, mastering, etc.. I hear this noise in my head and I want to hear it coming out of the speakers.
- If you produced, wrote, and sang on a track, which song would it be and why?
Milla – Human Nature by Michael Jackson because I feel like it is one of the most
artistic songs to hit the earth.
Freedom – In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins. When everyone on earth knows and waits for your drum fill, you’re doing something right.
- What would you be doing if making music were not your career of choice?
Milla – Teaching/counseling the youth. Helping them make the right decision in life to become successful.
Freedom – A professional athlete. Using my platform to aid my philanthropic endeavors.
- You’re having a dinner party at your house, name one living celebrity you would invite and why?
Milla – Oprah. Soak up her knowledge.
Freedom – NA
- If you were a box of cereal, which cereal brand would you be and why?
Milla – Waffle Crisps. Because it’s the best cereal in the world.
Freedom – Wheaties. Because it’s the breakfast of champions. (Freedom)
- On your tour, or if you were to go on a tour, what are 5 must haves and/or demands?
- Game console
- Chess Board
- Picture of my daughter
- Basketball Hoop / Basketball (or college arena/ gym access in the city we’re in)
- Studio set up / computer
- My engineer/all around computer guru
- Beef jerky
- Who is your #mancrushmondays and #womancrushwednesdays?
Milla – No Comment
Freedom – What he said.
The Bonus Round:
- If you could interview one artist, who would it be and what’s one question you have to ask?
Milla – Jay-Z. What was the most pivotal component in his rise to the top.
Freedom – Max Martin. What’s the secret sauce in that magic Song-burger he’s been serving Year after year.
- If there was only one brand of clothing you can wear for the rest of your life, which brand would it be?
Milla – Maison Martin Margiela
Freedom – Nike.
Well there you have it folks, Behind the Nines with The Clones. Don’t forget to check out all their links in his bio page; Behind the Nines with The Clones will forever be available on that page, also. Sharing and comments are much appreciated, and it’s always the right thing to do. Stay #Covrdup my friends.